Terms and Conditions
FRANK HURLEY PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS
- The Frank Hurley Photography Awards are promoted and managed by the Mawson’s Huts Foundation (the Promoter), the incorporated not-for-profit organisation that produces the event. Entry to the competition is open to any person who satisfies the entry requirements in Paragraph 2. By submitting your entry and paying the registration fee, you agree to all of the terms and conditions listed here. Prize winners will be selected by a panel of independent judges and their decision is final. Prizes are as described below in Paragraphs 28 to 31.
WHO CAN ENTER?
- Entry is open to any natural person (not an organisation or agency) regardless of their nationality or location, who is the author of the image(s) submitted. Persons under the age of 18 may enter with the written permission of their parent or legal guardian. Please note that parents or guardians, by signing such permission, take on the responsibility for compliance with all of these terms and conditions of entry.
WHAT CAN BE ENTERED?
- Every image submitted must be 100% photographic, either digital or film and all elements must be produced by the entrant including textures or borders.
- Each entry must be the original work of the person submitting it.
- No stock photography is allowable
- Composite photography should be entered into the “Composition” category. However diptychs and triptychs are acceptable in other categories.
- Removal of elements for the sake of image quality is acceptable including the removal of dust or strands of hair, however the addition of new elements will not be permitted for entries outside of the “Composition” category.
- For the sake of policing image data integrity, the organisers reserve the right to request the image as a “RAW” file (and its various versions including CR2, NEF etc).
- Please do not add any watermarks to your entries as the judging is anonymous. All entries with watermarks will be disqualified.
- Each entry must be assigned to a listed category.
- Each entry must have been captured on or after 1 January, 2015.
- An entry cannot contain any identifying mark of the photographer (e.g. name tags or commercial logos) other than their own image if it is part of the photograph.
- Any person identifiable in the photograph must have given the photographer written permission to use that image without restriction, evidence of such permission to be provided to the Promoter on request. Images of children must be accompanied by a Model Release signed by the child’s parent or legal guardian.
- Images with non-photographic additions including computer graphics, trademarks or labels are not acceptable. Copyright materials including brands or trademarks or images owned by third parties are not permitted. An entry must not infringe on the intellectual property of any third person or organisation.
- Entries will be accepted between 1 July 2020 and 5:00 pm on the extended closing date of 31 December 2020. Entries will not be accepted after the closing date. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for errors of transmission or electronic delivery.
- Any submitted image must meet one of the following categories and criterias:
- POLAR: Applies to two separate regions, one in the Northern Hemisphere and another in the Southern Hemisphere. In the Northern Hemisphere, ‘polar’ is defined as all those regions north of 66˚33’ N (the Arctic Circle). In the Southern Hemisphere, ‘polar’ is defined as all the continent of Antarctica and the sub-Antarctic islands, including but not limited to Macquarie Island, South Georgia, the Heard Islands, the South Shetland, South Orkney and South Sandwich Islands. The photograph may be of any subject (including humans) in that environment.
- SCENIC: Deserts, mountains, rivers, lakes, natural formations, weather, sunsets, sunrises, cloud formations and astronomical photography.Photographs must not be multiple exposures or manipulated images.
- COMPOSITION: In the tradition of Frank Hurley, this category includes multiple exposures, montages and manipulated images that tell a story with drama and emotion. In any instances where images are composed of several elements and/or several photographs or exposures, all elements included within the image must be original works produced by the entrant.
- NATURE: Nature photography (including underwater photography), flora and fauna in any location world-wide. Judges will look for a unique perspective on wild places, large or small.
- PORTRAIT OF ADVENTURE: Images can be taken anywhere in the world but must contain at least one person. Images conveying adventure, exploration or discovery will be highly regarded.
WHAT ARE THE ENTRY FEES?
- All entries must be accompanied by the following entry fees:
- AU$50 for up to two (2) entries in any category of your choice.
- Entrants can enter up to two (2) additional images in any category at a cost of AU$25 per category.
- You may not submit the same image in more than one category.
- Payment can only be made through the payment portal via the online entry form, using PayPal (no account necessary).
- If you are a full-time student up to and including Year 12 in a registered school or college, on the date that entries close, you may take advantage of student pricing at a 50% discount on the prices in Paragraphs 17a and 17b
- You must also include the name of your school or college, your official school or college email address and your unique student ID number with your entry form. For any problems or enquiries please email the organisers.
HOW DO I ENTER MY PHOTOGRAPHS?
- You must complete the official entry form available on this website. We need your full name, email address, date of entry and the name of your images. We do not accept any responsibility for incomplete entries, errors of transmission or failures of payment.
WHAT ARE THE TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS?
- Please ensure that your entries are submitted as electronic files
- Online submission format: JPG or JPEG.
- Minimum file size: 1MB
- Maximum file size: 5MB
- All finalists’ images must be available for re-submitting in their original size.
- All finalists will be required to re-submit the originals in RAW, JPEG or TIFF format at 300dpi.
NOTES ON SMART PHONE AND TABLET IMAGES
- Images captured on early model smart phones, tablets or similar devices, may fall below the required sizes. These images may still be considered by our judging panel, based on artistic merit. In such instances, the technical merits of the image will be considered, prior to printing. If the image cannot be printed at a suitable size and quality for the exhibition, it will be rejected.
NAMING YOUR IMAGE
- We need to identify your images from hundreds of others. We ask you to please follow this protocol for naming your submission:
- Your family name and first initial
- A number (1,2,3,4,5) if you are submitting two images or more
- The title of the image
- Category to be clearly shown (Polar, Scenic, Nature, Portraits, Composition)
- Please ensure this format to name your images is done prior submitting them.
Eg: For Evelyn Smith entering two images, ‘Ice Lake’ and ‘Snow Dogs’, the following file names would be submitted:
- Images that are printed, mounted or published in any other form than the electronic files as detailed in Paragraph 20 will not be accepted.
HOW DOES THE JUDGING WORK?
- Valid entries that satisfy the terms and conditions of the competition will be submitted to a panel of judges selected for this purpose by the promoter, Mawson’s Huts Foundation Ltd. The judges are chosen for their experience and qualification and are not permitted to submit their own entries in the competition. Any judge who has a personal relationship with any photographer or image submitted for judging must abstain from voting on that entry.
- All qualifying images will be reviewed by the judges and the finalists selected. The number of finalists selected is the decision of the judges, to a maximum number of 10 finalists for each category. Finalists will be notified by email if they are successful. Entrants selected as finalists may be asked to provide supplementary files suitable for high quality large format printing.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the method of judging, the decisions made, the identities of the judges or their qualifications.
- All finalist images will be processed and printed by a qualified professional printer to the same size and resolution, then mounted in portrait or landscape format as appropriate. A second round of judging will take place when the finalists’ images have been printed and mounted and the winners selected by vote of the judges. The finalists and winners will be exhibited at the Frank Hurley Photography Awards Exhibition in Hobart, Tasmania at the Basement Gallery, Bond Store from Friday 12 February to Sunday 28 February, 2021.
- A People’s Choice award will be selected by counting written votes submitted by members of the public attending the Frank Hurley Photography Awards Exhibition. Voters must attend the exhibition in person to vote and postal votes are not accepted.
WHAT ARE THE PRIZES?
- The Frank Hurley Prize will be awarded to the overall winner in the judges’ opinion. The prize includes: a single berth on a 10-day Discover Antarctica trip on the Ocean Endeavour valued at over AU$10,000; A single return economy airfare from your nearest capital city (in Australia) or from your national capital city (outside Australia) is included; a maximum of four nights accommodation if necessary based on transit routes and timings between the recipient’s home and the expedition vessel. This accommodation will be in safe and comfortable hotels as chosen by the contest organizers and will not include any meals other than those included as part of the hotel’s standard and included offerings (i.e. breakfast). At least one night’s accommodation will be required in Buenos Aires and in the town of Ushuaia, Argentina before and after the expedition voyage. All other pre and post-tour accommodation and personal expenses are the sole responsibility of the winner. The winner of the Frank Hurley Prize must take out travel insurance covering the whole period of absence from home. Travel restrictions imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic will be taken into account and suitable travel dates negotiated with the winner. The prize does not expire until the trip has been taken. The prize is not redeemable for cash or credit, and may not be sold, raffled or auctioned to any other person or organisation. Transfer of the winning prize may be made to a friend or family member with the written permission of the Promoter. The Frank Hurley Prize winner will be deemed to have also won the category entered and will therefore also receive the prizes for that category.
- Category Prizes will be awarded to the winner of each of the 5 categories, the prize includes: a feature-packed Fujifilm X100F Silver – X Series compact camera; a$200 momento voucher; a 45 min portfolio preview via zoom with the presiding judge of the category. One additional item is also included, based on specific categories as follows POLAR: Lowepro Powder Backpack 500 AW. SCENIC: Lowepro Fastpack BP 250 AW III. COMPOSITION: Manfrotto Befree GT Carbon Fiber Tripod twist lock, ball head. NATURE: Manfrotto Befree GT XPRO Aluminium Tripod. PORTRAIT OF ADVENTURE: Lowepro GearUp Creator Box XL, L, M.
- Finalists Prizes will be awarded to the finalists in each category, the prize includes:a numbered limited edition print copy of an original Frank Hurley photo taken of Blizzard, one of the pups born at Cape Denison from the team of Greenland huskies used by the expedition.
- People’s Choice Prize will be awarded to the winner of the People’s Choice, from votes cast at the Frank Hurley Photography Awards Exhibition in February 2021, the prize includes: $500 cash.
- All entrants are invited to take up the offer of 10% off the advertised price of any Antarctic voyage when booked directly through Chimu Adventures
WHAT RIGHTS ARE INVOLVED?
- All photographers retain copyright in their work. The promoter, Mawson’s Huts Foundation asserts no claims or rights other than those specified in these terms and conditions.
- All entrants agree to the storage of their images in electronic form for the purpose of judging the competition and the private distribution of those images as required to complete the judging process.
- The photographer warrants that the rights (of any kind) to the photograph have not previously been sold or granted to any third party so that the Promoter’s use of the image(s) in the manner specified in these terms and conditions is not limited or restricted. The photographer further agrees that any subsequent sale or assignment of rights to a third party will not abridge the Promoter’s right to use of the images as specified in these terms and conditions.
- Finalist’s images as selected by the judging panel will be printed and mounted at the expense of the Promoter, for display at the Frank Hurley Photography Awards Exhibition. Ownership of the printed images remains with Mawson’s Huts Foundation. These may not be sold or published without the express written permission of the entrant but may be displayed in public to promote the competition and subsequent competitions.
- The finalist grants to the Promoter the right to use the images in electronic form or in print for the specific purpose of promoting the Mawson’s Huts Foundation or the Frank Hurley Photography Awards in perpetuity without restriction in any media.
- The Promoter agrees that the images will not be made available for download on any of its websites at high resolution and that all images used will be credited to the photographer. To further protect any images against misuse by third parties the promoter will insert a digital watermark to images published online. The Promoter will not be responsible for unauthorised use of any image by a third party.
- Electronic files sent as attachments will not be returned and the Promoter accepts no responsibility for submissions in any other form. Prints or physical media sent as submissions will not be returned.
- By entering the competition, the photographer warrants that the work submitted is their own original work, that all personal details provided are accurate and complete and that the entrant has all necessary rights and authorities to grant the rights specified in these terms and conditions so that use of the images as described will not infringe the rights of any third party.
- The entrant also warrants that permissions as specified in Paragraphs 8 and 9 have been obtained and shall be produced by the entrant upon request, and that the images submitted breach no laws relating to privacy, photography of minors, photographing people in public places or copyright.
- The entrant, by submitting his or her entry, agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Mawson’s Huts Foundation (the Promoter) against any claim which may arise in relation to the entry submitted by the entrant for any cause whatsoever including but not limited to the submission of a non-compliant entry. This indemnity extends to loss or damage claimed by the entrant and to loss or damage claimed by third parties of any kind whatsoever occasioned by the entry of the photograph or photographs.
- The entrant acknowledges that the Promoter may disclose the entrant’s personal details to employees or agents of the Mawson’s Huts Foundation in order to conduct the competition and that the entrant’s name, home city and country may be displayed in public if the entry is selected as a finalist and in any media in the event that the entrant is a prize winner.
- The entrant agrees that registration fees are non-refundable and that the Promoter will not be responsible for any loss occasioned by error, omission, delay, failure of electronic systems, unauthorised access, theft or corruption of entries.
- All entrants agree that the competition is governed by the laws of New South Wales, Australia and that the courts of New South Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to hear and decide any suit, action or proceedings which may arise out of or in connection with the competition.
Frank Hurley Photography Awards
c/- Mawson’s Huts Foundation, PO Box 290 , North Sydney NSW Australia 2059